SWITCH | SWITCHdrive | SWITCHengines |

Question about command line client access to switch engines

Hi,

I would like to configure the command line client to access switch engines and probably in the future I would like also to use ansible to deploy machines in switch engines.

I couldn’t find any specific documentation about command line client in the switch engines official documentation and when I started reading the official openstack docs in http://docs.openstack.org/cli-reference/common/cli_install_openstack_command_line_clients.html I have seen that some openstack deployments require a customized client.

Before going forward with my tests I would like to ask if I should use the official openstack cli client. Do you recommend to follow the official openstack docs to configure the cli client? do you have any suggestion or remark about this topic?

thanks for your advice.

regards,
Pablo.

Dear Pablo,

I would like to configure the command line client to access switch engines and probably in the future I would like also to use ansible to deploy machines in switch engines.

sounds good!

At the moment we have a FAQ answer about this in our online help, but it doesn’t go very deep.

I couldn’t find any specific documentation about command line client in the switch engines official documentation and when I started reading the official openstack docs in http://docs.openstack.org/cli-reference/common/cli_install_openstack_command_line_clients.html

Yes, that should work fine.

I have seen that some openstack deployments require a customized client.

OpenStack leaves a lot of freedom to operators concerning how they build their cloud (IaaS) systems, and unfortunately the user needs to know a bit about the particular OpenStack cloud they want to use; available flavors and images, how networks and public IP addresses are handled etc.

But the basic commands should still be applicable to all OpenStack clouds, unless they are heavily customized.

There is an effort called “os-client-config” to simplify CLI (and API) access to different clouds. We have contributed some specifics about SWITCHengines. Maybe you can use that if you have a recent-enough version of the OpenStack CLI.

Before going forward with my tests I would like to ask if I should
use the official openstack cli client. Do you recommend to follow
the official openstack docs to configure the cli client?

Yes, that’s a good approach.

do you have any suggestion or remark about this topic?

The OpenStack community is moving from the first generation of CLI tools, where every service had its own Unix command (e.g. nova, glance, …) to a new one (python-openstackclient) where everything is grouped under one openstack command.

This transition is not finished yet, so if you use the new openstack client, then you might run into features that you can’t use yet. For example, the “Heat” orchestration service is only being integrated into the new client right now. In these cases you will need to install the old service-specific clients (e.g. python-heatclient) as well. But the situation is improving quickly now, and I’m optimistic that in a few months, you can do everything with the new python-openstackclient.

Simon.

thank you very much for your help. I could get the cli working.

For anyone else trying this, the official documentation suggest to try openstack service list to verify if the cli is working but this is a privileged (admin only) command line which won’t work. To verify you cli is working try openstack server list instead. Thanks Simon for pointing this to me :wink:

I reported an issue about this part of the official documentation, and the maintainers have already changed the example to say server list instead of service list. Thanks for noticing this!